BYRON BAY MICROLIGHTS     TYAGARAH and ballina  -  MOB 0407 281 687

home flights air tours events training flying trike XT912-SST flight suits market location
questions & answers

Most microlight pilots will tell you that they caught the flying "bug" after a trial flight with a qualified instructor.

This section answers the question of how to obtain your own licence to fly one of these wonderful machines....

Q - How can I get a microlight pilot's licence?

You will be required to complete the HGFA pilot training syllabus with a qualified microlight flying instructor. For a weightshift microlight pilot's licence you must complete a minimum of 20 flying hours of flying instruction. This includes a minimum of 5 hours solo flying. It is important to note, that some people may need more training time than 20 hours before they will qualify for a licence. You also need to pass two written (multiple choice) exams.

Q - How long will it take to get my licence?

It's difficult to give an exact answer, as everyone is different. Various factors affect the answer to this question such as, aptitude, previous flying experience, age, weather and your own availability.
If you can only fly at weekends, you'll probably take a bit longer than those who are available for lessons for extended training visits. From experience, for those who are unconditionally available, the average could be quoted at 10 to 15 hours of instruction to progress to solo standard. For those who are training on a part time basis... up to 12 months.
But, Hey! Half the fun is getting there!

Q - How much will it cost?

For a student who has their own aircraft, the average cost of attaining their pilot certificate is around $4,800. If a student wishes to utilise the school aircraft whilst waiting for their own trike to be delivered, the overall cost of training is understandably higher. 
As well as the hourly rate for both of the above situations, (Pilot Training Course Prices page), costs for clothing, study materials and literature, theory lessons and exam fees are taken into consideration.

Q - Will I need to pass a medical?

A special medical examination is not required. A Declaration of Fitness stating that your health is of an equivalent level to that for driving a motor vehicle is all that is required.

Q - What about the written exams?

You don't need to be "academic" to take a microlight pilot training course.  As you'd expect, you do need to learn some theory, because it helps your understanding of the flight exercises and your exam revision. However, for the microlight pilot's licence we will concentrate on what you need to know, rather than equipping you to fly a 747! We found find it helpful to do 10 hours flight theory ("ground school") classes. These are charged per block of 5 or 10 hours at $70 and $60 per hour respectively.

On the other hand, you are encouraged to do your own studying - we'll give you essential study material when you book your course - to reduce the overall cost of obtaining pilot certificate. Other people just want help with specific parts of the course. Let us know if you need any help and we can tailor flight theory sessions to suit.

We also run group workshops on navigation and route planning for those coming up towards their solo cross-country flights.

Q - Are there any age limits?

There are no age limits for microlight pilot training.  However, although you can begin the course before you are 15 years of age, you cannot be issued with your pilot certificate until you actually become 15 years old. There is no upper age limit.  Weightshift microlight flying, or “triking” as it’s known in Australia, is not a "boys only" sport either. There are women microlight pilots as well!

Q - What about buying my own microlight?

You are very welcome to use the school aircraft for your training. However, using your own microlight is cheaper. Many student pilots buy their own microlight once they have completed a few hours on the school aircraft, so they are ready to fly solo in their own machine.

Byron Bay Microlights is the Northern N.S.W. preferred dealer and training facility for Airborne Windsports P/L, the manufacturer and world wide exporter of Australian microlights. We can help you chose the trike best suited to your needs. Whether you want to cover large cross country distances in the XT 912 Streak 3, or go “paddock bashing” and beach fishing in the XT 912 Merlin / Tundra option. Please ask us for a brochure and price list.

Q - What about insurance?

Individual financial members of RAA or HGFA as well as schools are insured for legal liability that includes Bodily Injury and Property Damage to 3rd parties arising out of occurrence caused by an aircraft or by an RAA or HGFA member or an object falling there from, including claims on liability from students under instruction.

These cover members in the event of a claim, but they do not cover you for personal injury other than while you are under instruction where you make a claim on the instructor.  We therefore recommend that you have a word with your insurance provider to check that microlight flying is included in the risks covered by your personal injury policy.

Microlight flying, along with all other forms of leisure aviation, is normally excluded from most life and personal accident insurance policies.  You may wish to contact your insurance company to ask if your personal injury policy can be extended to include microlight flying.

Q - I'd love to learn to fly, but I'm nervous
of flying...

It's our view that people who are initially apprehensive of flying and cautious in their approach to their training ultimately make the best pilots.  Any initial nervousness will disappear as your knowledge and flying skills develop.

© BYRON BAY MICROLIGHTS - All Rights Reserved   |   RAA training facilities   |   CASA approved aircrafts, manufactured by Airborne Windsports